Mitchelstown derives its name from the Norman Family of Fitzdavid de St. Michel who founded the town in the 11th century. A century later it passed to the Clangibbon whose chief was the White Knight. In the mid – 17th century, the King family, who were barons and earls of Kingston, became owners of a 100,000 – acre estate around the area. Robert, the second Earl, demolished the old town and replaced it with a new one in the 1780′s.
The centre of the modern town of Mitchelstown was laid out for the second and third Earls of Kingston between 1776 and 1825. The new town replaced a medieval town that stood west of the present town. Its simple but impressive layout was probably designed by John Webb, who also designed Mitchelstown Demesne for Robert, the second Earl of Kingston, and his wife, Caroline. Webb was an assistant to the great English landscaper, Capability Brown.
Mitchelstown Demesne was 502 hectares (1,240 acres) in area. It incorporated three artificical fishponds, extensive farm buildings, walled gardens, stables, an ice house, bridges, woodlands and avenues. This was enclosed by a 10.5 kilometre (6.5 miles) long limestone wall which stood at an average of three-metres (10ft) in height. The wall took over 19 years to build, at a cost of £16,000, and was not completed at the time of Robert’s death in 1799.
Caroline and Robert chose to honour their sons George, Robert, James, Edward and Thomas, in the street names of the new town.