Mitchelstown has some of the finest Georgian Architecture in Ireland outside of Dublin. Kings Square has outstanding urban quality, a very high architectural interest, and is a most beautiful landscaped space. Kings Square is a fine Georgian Square laid out from 1761 onwards. On the north side is Kingston College, built for elderly Protestants, and endowed by the King family.
Kingston College almshouses occupy the lower portion of the square. They were built in the mid-1700’s by James the fourth Earl of Kingston. The College occupies three sides of the lower part of the green, with a small chapel in the centre and a unified, continuous façade in a domesticated renaissance style. Their external condition is relatively good, through regular maintenance throughout the years, though some attention is necessary and interiors are in need of rehabilitation.
The houses on the upper side of the green are beautifully maintained without exception, in a most elegant, simple Georgian style with interesting and subtle Georgrian style with interesting and subtle variations to the entrance doors and surrounds.